We focus on supporting projects to create sustainable community and school food gardens.
We support community self-help schemes that:
• Grow food to improve nutrition
• Target needs identified and articulated by the community
• Embed long term and sustainable programmes
• Encourage initiatives by women and children
• Support those affected by HIV/AIDS
• Make sustainable improvements to the environment
• Generate income in their communities.
We do this by finding people and organisations in South Africa who have the experience and expertise to:
Even when not directly providing assistance, we seek to maintain ongoing relationships with communities to live out our commitment to their sustainable success – giving advice, introducing local contacts, sharing enthusiasm and praise.
We have established partners in South Africa and work on projects across the country – Gauteng, Western Cape, Kwa Zulu Natal.
First, we must raise the funds to invest. We still rely on a small number of volunteers who commit their time and efforts towards generating the money we need to make a difference.
The beginnings of a food garden are developing here.
This barren area was transformed into
a productive garden with Thatu's help.